In this article, we will learn what is the main difference between Java 7 and Java 8 and what are the features of Java 7 and Java 8.
Java 7 and its Features
The Java 7 was the first major update in the field of programming language since the addition of the Sun Microsystems.
The Java 7 has been a huge success for Oracle after the addition and a major upgrade from Java in the five years. After that, it almost took the business to a whole new level. Java 7 version was solid and features major upgrades, including major bug fixes. Moreover, It improves the support for dynamic non-Java languages and as well as type interference support for creating generic classes.
The main features of Java 7 are
- String object in a switch statement
- To manage multiple exceptions to avoid duplicate codes
- Update the class loader architecture
- Improves the type interference for generic instances
- Library support for Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC) algorithms
- Update the Rowset 1.1 and the JDBC 4.1
- Automatic resource management in try statements
- Concurrency and Collection Updates
- 64-bit compressed pointers
- JVM support for the dynamic types languages
Java 8 and its features
Oracle officially released the Java Development Kit 8 on 18 March 2014 and marking a turning point for the developer community around the world.
Some key features were originally planned for Java SE 7 but were later postponed. These features eventually found their way into the Java SE 8 update and marking a significant upgrade to the model. Lambda expressions are by far the largest update to the model and that is likely to increase productivity in many business models.
The main features of Java 8 are
- Language level support for Lambda Expressions
- Standard and static methods of the interface
- Unsign integer arithmetic
- Simultaneous API improvements
- New Date and Time API
- Parallel sorting
- Zero reference models
- New and improved Stream API
- Removal of the permanent generation
In conclusion, the Java SE 7 was the first major release in the field of programming language. The ownership and the responsibilities of Oracle since the additions of the Sun Microsystems in 2010.Java 7 was a major upgrade that includes language enhancements, multiple exception handling, JVM support for dynamically typed languages, and more. Java SE 8 is a revolutionary version of the programming language and that has taken the model to a whole new level.